Summer Immersion Programs
iE’s homestay programs for U.S. teens in Germany and Spain
What do the Immersion Programs look like?
iE’s Summer Immersion Programs in Germany and Spain are all about expanding your horizon, making connections and growing as an individual and as a global citizen.
Each U.S. high school student stays with a local host family for 2-3 weeks and gets a chance to experience life in a different country, with its culture and traditions, and hone their language skills in the most effective way. It’s a surefire way to make memories that last a lifetime!
Full scholarships available for iE host siblings!
(see FAQ below for more info)
Spain is famous for its beautiful beaches, historic cities, a relaxed and intentional lifestyle and an extraordinary cuisine.
- Spanish is the world’s second-most spoken native language. Get a chance to practice your Spanish in an unparalleled setting and learn everyday expressions and phrases!
- Spain has a vibrant culture with many traditions and festivals. Look at life from a different perspective with the help of local experts.
- With over 5,000 miles of coastline, you are bound to end up at the beach during your stay. Take in the breathtaking scenery and get to know true Spanish life in person.
*Program currently available to host families who host a Spanish student.
Germany is known as a country of innovation and science and its love of cars and soccer.
- German is the most popular third language taught in the world. Follow your sense of Fernweh (the desire to explore faraway places) and get to know the German spirit by exploring the ingenuity of the German language.
- Germany is a mix of urban cities, picturesque villages and historic sites. Even the capital Berlin, which is 9 times bigger than Paris and has more bridges than Venice, is lovingly called “a village” by locals.
- With over 20,000 castles, you will likely stumble across one during your visit (the most famous one, Neuschwanstein, inspired the Disney castle).
What are the program requirements?
Any U.S. high school student is eligible to apply, as long as they are 15-18 years old, have a valid passport, and are able to travel solo.
What is included in the program?
The program includes:
• travel insurance
• carefully screened host family
• Local Representative who speaks English (LC)
• 24-hour emergency hotline
Note: Airfare paid by program participant.
What are the program dates?
Travel dates are June through July and are determined based on host family and student preferences.
How much does the program cost?
Program cost is $2,000 + airfare*. Full scholarships for the program cost is available for iE host siblings.
The Spain Immersion Program is currently available to families who host a Spanish student.
* Airfare paid by student participant.
Is there an application deadline?
Applications received by February 1 will be considered for the upcoming summer.
Applications received after the deadlines will be considered for the following calendar year.